carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate2453
Carleton,

Don't use your thumbs, use the ridge of the pads of your knuckles to roll the tire on. For me it is like rolling my fingers into a fist around the tire. i use that ridge to grip the tire and roll the tire on.

All of the above only works if you get one bead on, and make sure the tube (slightly inflated) is centered over the rim, not half in half out. When you go to put the second bead on you have to start at the valve and work away from the valve. The valve area is the tightest area on the wheel.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by theblackbullet
I'm also a larger cyclist, and I used to deal with the same issue even when using really high pressures in the tires. The solution is a wider rim. I've been using these as training wheels for my track bike and road bike and it really has been a game changer. I can run a 23 or 25 mm tire at 100psi (home track is bumpy abd lower pressure really smooths it out a bit) and they feel absolutely rock solid. No flex whatsoever. Kinlin XR31T Tubeless Ready Rim - $74.95
I've only felt that feeling when using a set of tubulars that had been in used for a lot of miles. I could push the tires over and see the base tape staying down on the rim but the tire would move some. It was a an almost-fishtail type feeling when diving into a turn.

The setup that I felt it on was:
- Velocity Deep-V tubular rim.
- Conti Sprinter tires that were on their 2nd season.
- 140PSI.
- 32/36 spoke front/rear Dura Ace hubs