WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Andrew, le mans,

Good points. Andrew, given Mr. Calfee's remarks and other data I suspect that all modern CF bikes use two-part epoxies. I'm trained as a chemical engineer, and so I'm probably a bit more conservative (clouding the finish of or even weakening a bike part is one thing, but having an 80,000 gallon glass-reinforced plastic vessel dissolve and discharge its contents into a working chemical plant is another level). Chemical compatibility charts show epoxy is pretty amazingly resistant. That said, there are some warning flags. At least one business that does work with epoxy suggests methylene chloride to remove epoxy encapsulant from expensive parts. Another chart, from an epoxy seller, recommends against using methylene choride with any epoxy they make - this is the only solvent that is uniformly "not recommended" for use with any epoxy. Acetone is not recommended for epoxides as well, but is allowed for other materials (such as vinyl esters) used for matrices in CRP. Note that acetone is allowed in a "splash and spill" scenario, with cleanup within the hour. The upshot is that I'd avoid methylene chloride and probably acetone. Also, combinations of solvents whose formulation is designed to dissolve almost anything. Paint strippers, or combination cleaners like brake or aircraft cleaners. This on the theory that combinations can be more powerful than any one component (aqua regia, a combination of 3 parts hydrochloric acid, and 1 part nitric, will together but not individually dissolve gold and platinum*)

I was interested in d-limonene (an ingredient that is a big reason why Goo Gone works so well). At least one company suggests that epoxy is "Very Good" in service with d-limonene. So I was encouraged - I'll probably try Goo Gone to remove road tar on my bike now with some confidence. If you buy Goo Gone, be aware that they have a range of products. They sell little bottles of the stuff that really works. "Goo Gone" original. The larger spray bottles contain something that doesn't work as well for me. Here's what I use (a little on a paper towel will take off adhesive residue really well):

*I'd avoid aqua regia on bike parts as well...
https://googone.com/media/catalog/pr...oz_front_2.jpg

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 04-05-19 at 05:29 AM.