Old 11-13-11, 05:53 PM
FLO Cycling
User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Triguy
You're using logic, I've seen data. The limited data I've seen, there was no difference. I know why wider tires roll faster. I know that wider rims make tires slightly wider. I however, have seen data which did not show any difference. I did not ask for logic, I understand the logic. I asked for data.

As far as I can tell my original assertion is correct. The only certain reason(proven at this time) wider rims are faster/better is that they create a faster system with the tires the end users have decided they will use, ~23mm. I'm of course not referring to shape, I think the new blunter trailing edge would be effective for whatever tire size one decided to design around.

I know my requests for data will go unheard. When people asked Hed for data, Hed went silent. However, Flo feel free to send a wide rim and a couple of tires to Al Morrison, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to try.
I was intrigued by your request for data so we ran a test over the weekend to gather some data. This data proves that our FLO WIDE RIDE rims create a shorter and wider contact patch. Here is a link to the blog article which highlights our experiment and results.

http://bit.ly/t8lmGk

All the best,