Old 05-22-19, 02:13 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The odds of me ever appearing in front of a judge and jury due to cycling are so small and insignificant that it isnt even worth me considering this as a reason to not wear ear buds.

If I did find myself in your hypothetical, then I would try to rationally explain that in my experience, ear buds dont distract me from seeing or hearing what is going on around me.
Its ironic that music can blast in a car thru the speakers and the driver's hearing is limited, but that isnt an issue in your hypothetical...
An explanation wouldn't work, the judge will rule on the law. In my state you can't cover both ears. Although it is unlikely you still don't want to be that guy. Police tried to give me a ticket once for taking the lane to avoid an obstacle.

As for the loud music in the car I couldn't agree more. However, there is a psychological effect that headphone have of isolating you from your environment that's not quite the same in a car.

Even when I walk with headphones I have to keep a special awareness of my environment. I have crossed the street at least once without looking. That was enough proof for me.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I get that you said this is only for you and not projected on others, but i mean come on now, it shouldnt be a surprise that your wording is taken as projecting your view on others.
On the other hand, isn't that what our leaders do?