CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
My bike did not "die" from riding a winter of salted roads, but it really did a number on my drivetrain and brakes. This is with full coverage fenders. I did more maintenance to my bike that spring than I usually do in several years.

For many people, rising the bike off is not practical, as when it is below freezing out you will need:
a) either a place indoors to rinse it, or store a hose inside (where it will not freeze) that you then take out each time you rinse off the bike
and
b) somewhere above freezing that will allow the bike to dry off and not freeze the water.

I'll still ride on salty roads if I need to commute (rare the past few years, as I work from home now) but I am only taking my old commuter bike with pretty low end parts. No way I am riding any of my nicer bikes.

That has been my experience, anyway.
A bucket will do. Pour it over. Job done. Fortunately, my brakes are hydraulic. But ,anyway, I have my bikes to use them, regardless of the weather. If it's a rough winter, so be it. It's still way less maintenance and cost - and way more practical - than a car.
I don't have "good weather bikes".