Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Unless there are pockets of water standing on/in your frame/gear cables/whatever where it freezes and expands, breaking stuff, there is no reason your bike can't survive having frozen water on it. It's a bike. It's a rugged and simple machine.
The issue is not the freezing water breaking stuff. The issue is freezing up and interfering with the shifting and braking. I am speaking from experience with this.

Okay, I get it: You don't want to rinse it off, you don't want to spend time, money, or energy on end-of-season maintenance and you don't want to have a bike that is good for salty winter riding. Yet you complain about your good-weather-only bikes demanding end-of-season maintenance when used in inclement weather, and you "having to" use a cheap beater bike for winter (which also needs maintenance).
Wow. You might ask yourself this: If you find it necessary to misrepresent what I have said in order to make your point, you probably need to be reconsidering your point to start with. I said none of what is in bold above, nor is any of it true. At best It is twisted and embelished versions of what I said, combined with unfounded assumptions. I'm not going to bother responding point by point.

Look, you made a point about salt and bikes without thinking it through first. I just pointed out that it does not always work the way you say it does and backed it up with explanation and personal experience. You should have just let it go. But instead you double down, and end up writing the above nonsense.... which does not even address the point we were discussing..

Personally, I don't even rinse off my bikes in winter. I maintain them when they need it. This is one of the reasons I don't like derailleur bikes and steel bikes. As I mentioned previously: I don't do good-weather-only bikes as they are not at all practical.

I also believe it to be rather pointless to have good bikes but when commuting whenever the weather is bad, you have to make do with a cheap, poor-quality bike. That would soon have me take the bus, train, or car.
That great, do what you like. I really don't care, it has nothing to do with me.

This point of this thread was for people to discuss when and if they stop riding during the year. To come in and tell people they are doing it wrong is in really poor taste.

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-06-20 at 06:41 AM.