View Single Post
Old 10-01-19, 08:33 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Flashers at night stand out to cars better than they do in the day time because the light is brighter compared to the background.

But flashers don't do much for lighting your path so you can see in front of you. I mean...unless you like that strobe lighting effect.

My Cygolite main headlight has the best of both words. It can be a solid on light for my visibility and ads a pulsing strobe once per second on top of the constant on light. So from a distance you see both the light and a flash.
My understanding is that flashers at night make it difficult for drivers to discern exactly where the bike is and which direction it's moving.

I actually use dimmer solid lights in the dark, as there's less ambient light to compete with, and brighter, flashing lights when the sun is up and they bloody well should be able to see me. Then again, my commute is mostly rural, so YMMV.
Likes For Korina: