Old 04-28-14, 06:48 AM
mrkano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why is road cycling so political and middle class?

Not to sure where to post this subject but here seems like the right place.

I am 29 now, and have been riding bikes since I was 9. Kids mountain bikes you get as a first bike to get around the local towns, bmx from 10 years of age till present day, fixed gear and track bikes since 19 and road bikes and road cycling since I was 22. So have spent a lot of time behind bars.

I don't really wear all 'the gear' when I go on road rides, you know the latest in cycling jerseys, the best footwear/pedal combos... The most expensive bikes (£3000+) and all the other stuff.

I am safe with lights and helmet (most of the time). I used to ride in cotton jogger pants and stiff souled vans shoes with no straps or clip ins.. just simply liked to ride my bike and go explore on the road with friends, only recently am I starting to wear more cycling based clothing (from a practical sense as I really want to start pushing my cycling performance that bit more now).

There's a lot of snobbery when it comes to certain riders. Walking or cycling in the country, we all know what it is, that nod, or that quick glance and a show of awareness or appreciation, but I found that if I wasn't wearing, lets say all the typical cycling gear, basically if I didn't 'look' like a cyclist there was no nod or 'hello' or whatever.. If I was wearing a jersey or proper gear you get the nod.

Why can't cycling be less political. The other day we stopped at a cafe in Yorkshire, England, wearing my stiff souled Vans with straps on the pedals, the amount of looks I got as I pulled away was intense, whole group of cyclist just staring down at the pedals in disbelief.

It's just cycling!

Hate to say it, but the term 'all the gear, no idea' comes to mind with a lot of people. Simply put I have not had too much money to invest in 'all the gear' as I have other financial commitments, doesn't mean I can't enjoy a country ride though, nor should anyone else.

Just thought I would get this out there, be good to see if others feel this.