Old 06-21-23, 01:32 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
He has a podcast?!!!!!!
It is quite amusing when you get used to it. It's very free-form, no script, just Geraint and his pal Luke Rowe (Rowie) chatting, sometimes just about food and drink, a subject of great interest to racers when they can take a break from strict dietary discipline. They kinda sound like old college roommates, which I guess follows from being teammates and both Welshmen. They are able to get an incredible range of expression out of the single word 'mate,' reminding me of the famous scene from 'The Wire' where all the dialog is variations on a single-syllable Anglo-Saxon word--a different one. It's very different from the usual commentary and analysis, just riders talking about their jobs, like any other 'day in the office' job, so it's insightful to what it's really like for them*.
G has a dry, uninflected take on everything, which is probably one of the keys to his success, he never gets too excited.
And the humor and piss-taking is brilliant, mate. They just had their new Ineos teammate Josh Tarling on, a 19-year-old in his first pro season. Tarling was the youngest rider to ever finish Paris Roubaix, but his crash on the cobbles early on also took down his teammate Rowe, so Rowe started the conversation something like 'First question. Mate. Have you learned how to make a right turn yet?'
Give it a listen, mate!

EDIT TO ADD: I listened to episode #20 last night while on the indoor bike (Concept2 Bikerg), and got a bit of that insight. Rowe was talking about La Route d'Occitanie, which he had just finished, and one stage where he was in a breakaway, with his teammate Ganna ('Pippo') so they could really pull together. Rowe says: 'You know, when you do races like that, and it's just...fun? And then you go to, like, a big World Tour race, it's almost scripted.' To which Geraint replies 'You never get to do that with our team, do you? It's rare that you get to go in the breakaway...there's always a plan.' Now if you follow racing at all closely, you certainly know that this is the method of Dave Brailsford's team, whether it's called Sky or Ineos: they are after the GC, period. And obviously it's been very successful. But to hear the riders acknowledge it, and agree that it makes racing less enjoyable for them, is interesting. A little sad, too, though the Ineos salaries probably compensate for that.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 06-23-23 at 07:44 AM.