Old 12-19-19, 02:52 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
In Portland, motorists are supposed to give pedestrians a 50' buffer, no matter what. It used to be enforced. Lots of drivers got tickets when they bore down on decoy pedestrians instead of giving them that buffer zone. Cyclists should, IMO, get the same consideration. Some drivers do it without needing a law about it but most will run right up on your six as you try to make a left turn. Just this morning I had to bail on my turn into a driveway and turn left at the corner and backtrack. I had my wife signalling left but the car behind just kept coming. He got so close I could not risk it, its pretty wet today, and decided to gun it for some separation and made the turn past where I had intended to turn. Other times they do what that bus driver might have done and decide to go around to the right. That's great if it all goes as planned. New York City has been steadily losing population. The number of cyclists has increased somewhat but it has NOT tripled. There should not be triple the number of fatal accidents involving cyclists. Something societal is going on.