Old 06-24-20, 02:34 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
No real reason to do that outdoors, because outdoors one's task is to hold speed steady, not power. Power varies continuously with even tiny variations in pavement quality, and there's no such thing as a flat road.
Training is physiological. Your body doesn't know 15 mph from 30 mph. Speed isn't steady and I don't know a single person that actually trains to hold speed steady. In fact, if you were actually trying to go as fast as possible, your speed likely wouldn't be steady, nor would your power.

Besides, training indoors sucks.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I see on the list of "No Gos" that was just published in another thread that one of the No Gos is less than 2.5 hours of Z2. I think that's about right. On those, rather than keep power steady, I try to keep the average power in range and keep HR steady, not necessarily at the same number, just steady. I don't have that much flat around here, so I have to include some Z3 climbs and the resulting descents, but nothing to be done. I probably should do longer roller rides, but I don't.
Ha. The notion that you shouldn't do Z2 unless it's more than 2.5 hours is straight up dumb (as is the other end of the range: 14 DAYS!!!). Who has time to ensure that every ride is at least 2.5 hours? If I did 2 hour rides each day, those should be z3? Ridiculous. 14 hours a week of z3+. Yeah right.

There's theory, and there's application. Sometimes theory does not work with application.