WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,335 Times in 1,378 Posts
randyjawa SJX426 juvela iab

It seems that there is no literature showing "half-hoods" and based on the wealth of experience here I'd guess they are cut off hoods. But, while I have had several bikes with hoods that were clearly cut I have had at least two that had very smooth (factory??) edges on the hoods. I even asked the PO of one bike (a Peugeot IIRC) who claimed to have bought it new, why he had cut off the hoods like that. He said that he hadn't, that was the way he got it and that bike was a basement queen and almost immaculate. I sold it on with those hoods still on just as I'd got it. In that case the fit where the hoods met the bar tape was very neat and the hoods were secured tightly to the levers. The second set was on a Lejeunet I got a few months back. PO said she got it from her father and she had no idea about bikes. I kept the hoods from the Lejeunet because they were so odd and I meant to post here and ask if anyone had seen them like this. Even though the hoods look loose in the only pre-teardown photo I have, the hook on the hoods held them relatively tightly to the levers.

The photos aren't the best because I use a cellphone. These hoods are really brittle now and possibly could have been cut smoothly back when they were still supple.