WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Ever been around the Compass/Rene Herse fanboys in the randonneuring & gravel scene?

I mean, they're insanely nice tires (I run a pair of their extralight 650Bx38 on my Trek) and the ride is sublime.

Whether they are worth almost $80 / ea to me remains to be seen. Supposedly they will last a long time, especially in the wider sizes, but if one gets ruined prematurely I might end up trying something a little more wallet friendly.
I looked hard at the 35mm Bon Jovi or whatever the heck it's called. I ended up with the Panaracer slick Gravelking + tires because I know/trust the brand from the miles I've put on 32mm Pasela PT tires. They have essentially the same puncture resistance tech for the tread. I just have lots of nasty chipseal roads full of glass on my route. If I had better bike handling skills, I think I would buy the super supple Rene Herse tires, but for now I will see how the Gravelkings do. They're actually really similar tires, I just assume I'm giving up some weight and suppleness for at least a perceived benefit of durability.

EDIT: Actually, I guess Panaracer makes the tires for Rene Herse? and the Gravelking + is the same weight as the standard casing Bon Jon Pass? And the tread is basically identical? Not even sure what the real difference is at this point.

Last edited by WalksOn2Wheels; 01-23-20 at 12:02 PM.