View Single Post
Old 03-21-18, 08:51 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
I stumbled into randonneuring when someone came into my lab for VO2max testing and I got talking with her about what she liked to do. I've done centuries on and off since I was 19 so a 200K didn't seem like that much farther. I was also intrigued by the self-supported nature of the events. I did my first 2 200K brevets last summer and joined RUSA in October. I'm now hooked on chasing a P-12 (100K Populaire for 12 consecutive months). I might also try for an R-12 (200K or more for 12 consecutive months) as I ended up going to Kansas with two members of my club at the end of February. We did the KOMA 200K which gave us 4 states! Not sure if the weather up north will cooperate to fit in a 200K in December and January but at least I'll give it a try.

Chasing the P-12 has led me to explore parts of my state that I wouldn't normally have done as I was seeking opportunities to have slightly better weather. I did 2 100Ks in southern Illinois in January and was the first person other than the route owner to ride them. Same for the one I did this past weekend in central Illinois (I was down in the area for a conference on Saturday so just stayed an extra night).

I used my road bike for my 200Ks last summer and it was fine. I have since purchased a new bike that allowed me to go with 28mm tires and fenders instead of the 23mm tires that my road bike has. The new bike was more comfortable for the 200K last month. I appreciated how the wider tires help smooth out some of the rougher roads.

Not sure if I will ever try a 300K as I'm not a fan of riding in the dark. I prefer to sleep when the sun goes down!

Last edited by GadgetGirlIL; 03-21-18 at 08:58 AM.