View Single Post
Old 03-21-18, 06:15 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Thread moved from Touring forum to Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling forum.
I'm not sure you've actually done @Colt_Luger a favor by moving the thread, but he'll get more positive replies here!

I mean, most people on this sub forum are already into randonneuring, including myself. As others have mentioned, it's addictive.

Compared to touring, there are some obvious differences. Touring usually involves camping (and therefore camping gear); randonneuring does not.

Touring cyclists often leave a lot of time for looking at stuff, visiting places of interest, and that kind of thing; randonneurs usually don't.

Tourists can turn on any road that looks interesting, following their nose as desired; randonneurs follow a route that's been chosen ahead of time.

Touring cyclists are often on the road for weeks or months; randonneurs usually ride one day, sometimes two, occasionally three or four.

Touring cyclists ride by themselves and sometimes go hours, even days, without other human contact; randonneurs usually ride in groups.

Tourists rarely ride the same roads over and over; randonneurs, at least those who stick with the sport for several years, do.

At the end of a randonnee, we all shake hands, congratulate one another, and often drink a few beers together. I can't remember ever doing that at the end of a tour; I was just happy to be home.

I suppose every sport has a rulebook, and the players have differing opinions about many of the rules; well this is certainly true of randonneuring, not so true of touring (where there are no rules).

In theory, I prefer touring. In practice, I do very little touring and a whole lot more randonneuring; and the more I do, the more I like it.

Last edited by rhm; 03-21-18 at 06:19 PM.