Old 05-18-19, 01:01 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales
IM actually going to pick up this one for my bike soon.. this Granit X 540 and the GRANIT X Extreme 59 are the best Ulocks on the market

Right now I use the ABUS Bordo 6500 Granit X Plus Which is a folding lock.. Many of the usual ways thieves steal a bike this lock will thwart..
It's hard on bolt cutters, hard to pick, it's unfamiliar and heavy duty.. It doesn't have the design flaw that the 5700 has..
an angle grinder and a Bolt splitter are the two main ways to break my lock.. an angle grinder can take down pretty much any lock..

I use a cable as a secondary but I will be getting either a second folding lock.. or a ulock to add to my bike security..
I normally do not leave my bike unattended when out for long so generally what I use should be suffice for most.
I'm actually considering a bordo myself as a secondary - tougher and less bulky than the Abus cable so it might be good for securing the front wheel at least. Or as a more compact primary lock.

Bike theft in my area is largely opportunity it seems. I had one stolen years ago that I didn't lock up at all - left it outside while I went in to get something, got held up, and it was gone - but I actually managed to steal it back only a few days later. The lock I used to use back when I was a lifestyle / utility cycle was just a four-letter combo cable lock (sometimes one, sometimes two), and it's never been an issue. Most people who ride around here do not bother at all - the "serious" cyclists don't stop anywhere, and people who do stop somewhere don't seem to care if their bike walks off. Hell, it might not even be theirs in the strictest sense for all I know.

I will say the 540 is just "neat" in its own right, in addition to being secure.

M.
Likes For MEversbergII: