Thread: Freewheel
View Single Post
Old 07-02-19, 02:49 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by Kovkov
I think everything is fine with that bike. I think the op isn‘t used to vintage bikes.

- it has cottered crank. Nothing wrong with that. On the contrary. If it gets loose due to improper installation, reinstall correctly with a new cotter pin and off you go. Riding a loose square taper crank destroys the whole crank.

- It doesn‘t have disk brakes. No problem either. Learn to squeeze those levers hard with multiple fingers and you‘ll stop in time.

- Guess it‘s a 5 speed freewheel. The difference between gears can be 3 or 4 teeth. Guess that‘s meant with slop/slamming. Just get used to it. Or use a half step chainring setup and learn the double shift patterns. And don‘t shift under load.
+1... This is an old bike, and it brings a certain joy to clean up an old bike and have it feel the way it felt back when it was new(ish). Fully modernizing an old bike brings a different kind of joy, but you need more tinkering under your belt before you can tackle that, or every step will be a step backward before you slowly advance. I would focus on research and cleaning/restoring this bike to a reasonable level of function, then find the next thing you’re curious about.