View Single Post
Old 08-13-19, 08:00 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Aren't aero bars generally discouraged if not outright banned in the typical group ride?
Seldom banned, but often discouraged for good reasons.

Not really off-topic: Earlier in the summer I was riding an organized century . Probably there were a thousand or 1500 riders, and at the outset I went fast to make sure I would find myself away from the crowds and in a strong group. Sure enough, a group of a dozen soon coalesced and we were making excellent time. Up front was a guy, "Ted", who I've encountered before on other rides. He's a beast and he was doing all the pulling. Some guys behind him were talking about how "Ted" had pulled them for 97 miles of a fast century earlier in the year. But I didn't want to just to sit on somebody else's wheel for 100 miles, so I moved up front to contribute some pulls, and every time I did, "Ted" eased off and I ended up off the front. After doing this a couple of times, I asked him what was going on. He said, "I've got aero bars. I don't mind pulling, but it's not safe for me to draft. Either I'll pull or I'll ride alone."

I respected that. At some point later, I left that group and rode with some others who were willing to trade pulls.

My point (and I do have one) is this guy "Ted" is a very experienced rider and an ex-racer. He was not comfortable drafting with aero bars. A novice shouldn't try it.