Old 11-14-19, 12:06 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
@bpcyclist I also realize I didn't answer your question about whether you should get a Cervelo or not. Hambini--who is starting to get well known for roasting certain high profile bike companies like Zipp, CeramicSpeed, Cannondale and Cervelo for their various practices that don't adhere to his own standards as an engineer, took Cervelo to task recently. Turns out a bottom bracket he made and shipped to a Cervelo client wouldn't work right so the client sent him the frame. He then looked up the white paper and blueprints for Cervelo products and saw what I now consider his "arch nemesis" Damon Rinard had increased the "acceptable tolerances" to a level higher than he believes is appropriate for bottom bracket opening variations. Damon has since moved on to Cannondale, and Hambini's ire towards him has followed. This doesn't mean that all Cervelos are bad, just that for the short time Rinard was there, he increased their acceptable tolerance which means more frames with higher variances got through QC than in years past (or since, they may have re-upped their tolerances after Rinard left).

My S3 has been problem free (outside of the rotor hub which now I can tell was a result of the flex of the thru axle) so far. What are you looking for in a bike? Are you looking for a road bike? Racing on flats? Climbing hills? Do you want aero? Do you value aero over weight? Do you plan to ride gravel? How important is compliance and comfort to you, especially as a tradeoff for stiffness and possibly speed? What's your budget?