Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Call me crazy then. But on a good day I do a couple of hanger alignments, on a bad day more. Been this way for long before Abby or Park had their tools. I don't question the value of alignment tooling (having a hand scraped cast steel surface plate in my basement I'm pretty aware about precision tooling) just that they are not the der and it is the der that is the device that needs to be aligned. So any alignment tool is one degree of separation from the goal. To assume on the der being perfectly aligned flies in the face of what I deal with daily. Sure the nicer stuff is better and often so close to "perfection" that it's a waste off time to remove the der and re tweak the hanger alignment. But I see far too many Tourneys, Aceras and such that have cages not sitting coplalar even after the hanger tool is used. Hence my method. Andy
Are you telling me that when you see a cage out of alignment you start by straightening that BEFORE you check the alignment of the hangar?

If so, I’m not letting you anywhere near my bikes.

The idea of bending stuff on the RD before checking the hangar with a tool... wow.