View Single Post
Old 12-20-21, 01:39 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4533 Post(s)
Liked 6,440 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
My first thought is that this wouldn't work with a square taper bb. Things would get clicky or sloppy after a moving from so many bikes.

But wow, the travel of that triple! It seems rare to find something that works so well that you take it from bike to bike like you have.
Not sure where this comes from or is going.

Many of the cranks we swap around here have been on dozens of bikes over decades.

I had a "Mighty" Sugino Mighty Competition set that I got on my first good bike in high school, I rode it 1000's of miles then including the first belated overhaul after the BB had the pathetic factory grease washed out before I realized it was going south in waterlogged PDX. I got the tools, a supply of new bearings, proceeded to carefully replace bearings and grease monthly for several months to mitigate the damage to the cups and spindle. After that frame broke, it was eventually moved to a Raleigh SC that was also ridden many 1000's of miles before that was stolen.

I would bet good money its still going strong as are all of the old cranks I have acquired here and on the bikes I have also gotten from all different sources.

Just my 2 cents and I know it seems like some don't hold up.

I did have one that I thought was creaking, turned out to be a cracked frame.