Thread: Roundabouts
View Single Post
Old 07-14-20, 09:06 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
HATE. I understand the move toward roundabouts in this country, and at some point, the next generation of drivers has to become accustomed to them, but right now, I absolutely hate them. The worst part for me is having no idea if the car coming from my right is actually going to slow down/stop while I'm in the circle. With a stop sign, you at least have the pretense that cars will coming to a (semi) stop. With a roundabout, I have no idea if the car sees me, will yield, or will simply barrel into me. It is the most nerve-wracking experience. Since roundabouts are designed to keep traffic moving, the default action of most drivers is to keep going, only to yield if they actually see someone else (in my case, a single person on a much smaller vehicle) coming. Almost every time I go through them, if a car is coming, I practically stop, unless it's clear they see me and are actually moving slowly enough. But most of the time, cars come FLYING towards them.

The worst are roundabouts with a free right lane. If I'm heading straight through, the worst situation is where a car is on a collision course with me going through a free right. They almost never look, especially in "predictable" roundabouts, where most traffic is headed a different direction. People get used to the idea that the majority of movements through a roundabout is to a certain exit out, and so the drivers headed in the lightly used direction rarely pay attention. And before anyone goes there, I generally wear higher visibility kit, and have both front and rear lights. Doesn't matter, drivers are "glancing" out of their periphery for a certain sized object, not a tiny bike. God forbid, if I ever go, it's going to be in a roundabout, I'm sure of it.

Last edited by cthenn; 07-14-20 at 09:09 AM.