Old 07-22-20, 08:13 PM
zammykoo

Bikes: Trek 510, Dahon Classic III, Specialized Tricross, Raleigh Technium 460

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
My setup is still doing great. The only complaint I've heard was from a shorter rider who had a hard time getting the bars low enough for his tastes.

The drop bars from CycleOps won't work for this trainer as you won't have anywhere to mount the wire and friction lever to adjust the friction on the flywheel. Those bars are made for machines that have the friction knob on the top tube (in later models). So, you must use the setup as described above.

I'm pretty sure you can find a welder in any city. Just look for a shop that works on exhausts/mufflers. They all require welding to install. If you take the welder the pipe, I'm sure they can make it happen for a few bucks. Maybe print out this thread, too.

The guy that did it for me was a bike frame builder. So, if you have one of those around, that person can do it, too.
Ah, you're right about the friction knob. I know for the most part the design of these bikes are similar between generations, but the knob placement changed. Good to know that your setup is still going strong, and I appreciate your feedback!