Old 07-16-16, 09:14 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Like it or not electric bikes are not going away, but rather going to become a lot more common. Rather than dismiss them out of hand as not a real way of cycling, do some reading on them to have an informed rather than knee jerk opinion.
All About Bicycle Touring With Electric Bikes - CyclingAbout CyclingAbout this is a pretty good generic article that covers the basics.

And this actually looks pretty neat. https://optibike.com/long-range-touring/ If they can get that kind of mileage without pedaling much, a hard effort should get massive daily mileage. And this one is just a cool looking bicycle. Torq - 700C Touring electric bike. The Science Fiction geek in me thinks its frakking great.

For now, I feel that I want to pedal myself under my own power(easy to say sitting here at the computer, crawling up a damn mountain in the heat I sometimes have different thoughts). But if I ran into an electric bike tourist, would I start huffing and going on about how it was not "real bike touring"? No, cause I am not a dick head. And I seriously doubt that that person will scoff at my Luddite primitive manual bicycle. That kind of behavior is generally reserved for keyboard commandos.

Years ago I bought one of the first commercially available electric bikes, a Zap. I had fun with it, and it was great to find my truck on a sunday morning after partying to hard the night before(Art Student). Very hangover friendly way to cruise around. This was before I really got into cycling. Now, I have gone from that 25 year old fat beer chugger into a middle aged fat big ring hill masher on a road bike, and a sit and spinner on a fully loaded touring bike, and a ridged single speed mountain biker. So if in a few years I decide to dabble in electric bikes again, no one stating their opinion of it on some forum or other is going to effect my decision.