Old 07-03-20, 10:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Heat adaptation gets trickier as I get older. Took longer this year. I've done several rides of 20-35 miles with the temperature in the 90s, and one 35 mile ride on a day that peaked around 100F (feels like was supposedly 111F) and did okay. I just need to ride my ride, not try to match someone else's effort. So I ride solo, regardless of the pandemic.

I did my hard training prep work -- intervals and FTP stuff -- when the weather was cooler, and still do some at night after it cools off. I don't do "workout" rides in the heat. When the temp reaches 90 I ride whatever zone 2 is for me based on heart rate and how I feel subjectively.

I track my heart rate, drink plenty of water with electrolytes and whatever voodoo potion I sprinkle in, eat a snack about once an hour (or nibble a Clif bar for an hour), stop every couple of hours to stretch, and gear down my effort to suit conditions and how I feel. Works for me.

I was planning to ride 50 miles Thursday but back spasms stopped me after 30 miles. I had to literally pick up a neighbor who fell earlier Thursday and my lower back and hips are still sore. She's not much older than I am but very frail and alcoholic, and refuses to use a walker or cane. She falls a lot. Good reminder to take care of myself so I don't end up like that.

I'm resting Friday. I planned to ride a full century Saturday for July 4, but I'll adjust depending on how I feel. If the back and hip says 50 or so, I'll do that instead.