Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post
BTW WTF is a sock?

As in spunk sock?

Yeah, enjoy your life.

It has been 40 years since I was in Manila. Maybe things have changed, hopefully for the better. Cubewheels doesn't need me to stick up for him, he seems to know who he is. From the posts I have read he is guy who uses his bike for basic transport and is rightly proud of it.

As for ugly American, not everyone in the world has the same experiences as us in the US. The guy who suggested the Brompton did so with good intent and in a helpful manner, but I got the impression he had no idea the OP was in Manila. This means he had no idea what a $2k+ USD bike means in term of average yearly income or threat of carjacking.

All I really wanted you trolls to do is go back and read some of his posts. Seems like cubewheels has the right attitude.
Manila is actually a little nicer 40 years ago. The people are a lot nicer to each other but the country is under a terrible dictatorship at that time and the army was outright evil. You'll never see the bad side of the Philippines unless you come here with brown or dark skin tone, black eyes, looking like a poor person, and speaking our language. Most foreigners are automatically seen as rich and given much respect and hospitality. But no respect for us "little people".

Yeah, Brompton can be a nice option. You don't even need to lock it outside because you can bring it inside with you when you shop for groceries or go to work!

But you're right, it's far too expensive for me and bike robber gangs can still take it from you at gunpoint or make up something elaborate to get you to leave your bike (as how one of my bikes was stolen). Worse, a corrupt cop will pull you over and make up something to take it from you. So not an option!

I do really like my bike! The small wheels, makes it possible to have the bar quite low which places me in a good aerodynamic position. The bars are also much narrower than adult size MTBs, further improving aerodynamics and enabling me to easy navigate the very tight traffic of Manila! The frame in addition is quite low to the ground, the lowest it can possible go with 150 mm crank.

MOst of the time, I will out-coast riders on adult-size MTBs over tarmac. If I'm using road tires, I could out-coast hybrids too and even possibly some road bikes.

Last edited by cubewheels; 07-08-20 at 11:08 AM.