Old 02-06-18, 07:11 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by L.Shaner
Hey, Taras0000, thanks so much for the info. Nobody stocks these large frames and at the higher end they are frameset-only transactions and few bike-shops will build it and not charge a hefty restocking fee if the fit isn’t right. As a result, I ended up ordering a stock Fuji Track Pro bike to test the fit, which I did via a dealer who has a no questions asked refund policy. The seatpost wasn’t high enough and no other alternative seatpost were available.
But at least the “experiment” was worthwhile in that I now know that the Fuji Track Elite with same published geometry should fit the same, and so it is a question of what seatpost length is in the stock 61cm frame?

So you see I am already “invested” in this Fuji exploration. I don’t have the time nor resources to invest similarly in a half dozen or more potential alternatives. I liked the fit of the Fuji Track Pro enough except for the short seatpost, that I feel comfortable in investing in the Fuji Track Elite, provided I can sort this seatpost issue.

I have learned elsewhere that Fuji uses the same design for the seatpost in one of their TT bikes and I saw a review where the author went into an awesome level of detail pointing out that the seatpost is 400mm long! If only I can get that seatpost as a stand-alone component, then surely my Fuji Track Elite bike purchase is in the bag. But I don’t want to fish around for the longer seatpost unless someone can confirm that the stock seatpost on the Fuji Track Elite is only 300mm as was the case with the Fuji Track Pro that I tried out. :-/

So that’s the background on why I still need to know the answer to my original question. And isn’t it a bit frustrating that manufacturers don’t bother to post such all-important info like maximum and minimum seatpost heights from center of BB to the rails? But I digress... ;-)

Thanks again for your input. =D
Mark my words: Simply look into custom aluminum or steel now and move on to the rest of your training and racing. You are chasing a ghost.

Take the geometry of a well respected frame and "upsize" it appropriately as the basis of your design.

This will likely be what you ultimately do today, 6 months from now, a year or 5 years from now. You'll also learn about seatpost issues with aero posts. They design them for 165lb small fellas. At 6'6", I can safely assume that you weigh more than that. That weight will be amplified every bump you hit on whatever tracks you race.

I'm a 6'1" "clydesdale" rider with strong legs, fat butt, and a gut. If a bike has a weakness, I'll find it. I'd imagine you might be similar (minus the fat butt and gut)