View Single Post
Old 08-06-19, 06:41 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
... I ended up getting Ortlieb bikepacker classic.
I don't know what I am doing on the front end yet exactly,....
Front can be harder choice. You already have the waterproofness in the rear so if you have stuff that does not need to stay dry you could use non-waterproof front panniers. (I do not consider coated nylon to be waterproof.)

And some of teh newer bikes have a three bolt system on the forks for Salsa Anything cages, thus a dry bag on each side can be used instead of panniers, this is lighter than panniers but less volume.

And you could use either a conventional handlebar bag or a newer style bikepacking harness type of system that hangs from your handlebar. Could use this instead of or in addition to luggage mounted lower down on your fork.

First step, figure out how much volume you really need at this point.

Some trips I will have a lot of volume on top of the rear panniers in a dry bag or something like that. In post number 2 above you saw I had a 31 liter Ortlieb Rack Pack and an additional drybag on top of the rear rack. But some trips I have almost nothing on top of the rear panniers, in the photo below all I have on top of the rear rack is a tent pole bag but this was a short tour of only a week and the photo was taken after most of our food was already eaten.