Old 02-16-19, 10:22 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
stand over height is the height of the top tube from the ground, plus about two fingers of room (between the top tube & your crotch). so I think if your inseam is 27" your stand over height should be 29"
methinks your math is backwards. a 27" inseam with a 29" standover height would result in 2" if "interference" between the top tube and the spot between the legs... Standover should always be LESS than inseam.

@shahriar, I'd say spend a bit of time and try the Competitive Cyclist Fit Calculator. It will involve all sorts of both length measurements, and has its limitations, but should give you a fair idea of what's the right size range for a bike. Top tube length (or effective top tube on newer frames), stem length, saddle-bar reach, etc have been fairly close for me. Their "Eddy fit" is probably a good place to start for a beginning roadie.

Are there many used road bikes in your area? Honestly, a decent quality used bike is probably the best place to start given your finances. Even if it's got down tube shifters and such, it will get you riding and that's more important!