View Single Post
Old 06-15-19, 04:56 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd

The gear oil would work fine, maybe not for many long years like internal greasing, but add ten drops every couple of years and I would expect top performance. Let it drain in the hot sun on a cloth or cardboard strip for a day or two after you initial soaking, better than having oil drain out onto your hub and spokes.

On Accushift shifters having a selector for "F7, friction light index", don't use this setting or you'll be disappointed. It would only be good possibly if your components were somewhat index-incompatible imo (I've tried it on a couple of bikes and it sucked in other words).

Using narrower-than-indicated chain with Accushift levers will prevent the chain from momentarily over-shifting to the next-larger rear cog than you are shifting too. Accushift levers featured ample "over-shift" movement (freeplay between the lever/spool and the indexing ring), which was to make up for the lack of advanced shifting enhancements of 1980's chains.
yeah, i just don't have part of an afternoon right now to take apart these freewheels that have likely never been apart since they were manufactured. you know how it is; maaaayyybe they will come apart fairly easy.....maaaayyybe they won't! iow's, i know a proper cleaning and greasing is ideal, but i'm confident nothing will die if i band aid them for the moment. plus, i either need to buy or make another chain whip to do it

i'll keep your F7 recommendation in mind! thanks

while i've yet to finish reading the yellow jersey link provided above, i have read far enough to be familiar with the mention and nature of the "over-shift" feature. the use of a 9spd chain makes sense, then