Old 06-21-19, 02:52 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
E-BIKE!! Do it, you will not regret it :)

I vote get a purpose-built pedal-assist e-bike, something with a Bosch or Shimano STEPS mid- drive motor. I bought one by Ghost (sold at MEC in Canada, where I work, and at REI in the US), with a Bosch Performance Line CX motor, and it's the best decision I have made in ten years. I'm still riding, still active, but I'm not rage-quitting on the hills or collapsing in exhaustion halfway through my work week. My bike's name is Dory for her cheerful blue colour and for the way she lets me "just keep swimming".

I do recommend purpose-built over aftermarket e-bike conversions, because in the end you get a more reliable, safer, and more cost-effective vehicle, with better support for replacement parts, better service availability, and better battery life and safety. Bosch e-bike batteries have not had a SINGLE fire in the decade they have made them, and their current battery life is estimated at 8-10 years.

There are a LOT of pitfalls to e-bike conversions, starting with parts suppliers and going through things like frame tolerances, braking ability (you DO NOT want anything short of hydraulic disc brakes on an e-bike, IMO), battery life and safety, and service life. We won't even touch aftermarket conversions in my shop, as there are just too many ways for them to go badly wrong.

You will be able to find a full size range in purpose built e-bikes, as well as a good number of step through or "wave" ultra low step through frame designs - great for smaller riders, but also if you have a child seat on the back or a cargo rack.