athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Mixed feelings about it at the moment.

It cannot gather HR data from the Apple Watch 2. That may or may not be Wahoo's fault (it could be Apple's fault). But it's a drag because it means my ride data isn't aggregated in a single place. Strava on the watch will get HR data from the watch, but ride info gathered on the Bolt won't upload to Strava without quirks (either failure to write or duplicate entries). Granted, optical HR is supposedly less accurate (although the Apple one is supposed to be pretty good--especially for cycling, compared to running, since our hands stay relatively still). I haven't bothered to confirm. Looks like I'll need an HR strap, and then the two devices will live in separate universes.

EDIT: Oh, right. One other annoyance. A computer that can do all that the Bolt can, and yet, there's no feature to set interval alarms? Training programs appear to have to come from 3rd party apps (requiring payment after the trial period is up?) What if I just want the computer to beep every 30 or 40 seconds?

Apart from that, it's a nice little unit. Intuitive and very easy to use. The route-mapping was nice--routed me through some scenic roads. It was also pleasantly surprising--sent me up a fire road--although that might annoy other users.

Last edited by athrowawaynic; 09-08-17 at 08:08 AM.