View Single Post
Old 03-13-18, 01:05 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I usually ignore the little stuff. The City of Eugene is supposed to have a bike app that I tried to use once, but it crashed every time I tried to post something. Springfield hasn't joined it.

I've reported a few things, but perhaps not getting to the right people, and it generally is ignored.

If there is an extreme hazard, I have reported it. I reported an Osprey nest on a power line, and the utility company removed it the next day.

Just yesterday I encountered this in one of the sidewalks, and they were quick to respond.

Attachment 603129

The cover was about 4'x4'. While it did seem to support my weight, the whole thing wobbled when I stepped on it.

I'm not quite sure what it was... perhaps the entrance to Hades.

Oh, and I found a broken half missing manhole cover that I reported a few years ago... also fixed quickly.
I was at last week's Active Transportation Committee meeting in Eugene. The city traffic planner who sits in, Reed Dunbar, said that the ibikeeugene app improved version is still in development because people in the ad hoc group that is in charge of it keep changing the deliverables. Like just about everything else traffic planning/engineering wise in this city, it's just a mess of incompetence. No wonder Eugene has lost 43% of its cyclists since 2009.

On a related note, I was on a neighborhood walkabout with Reed's boss three years ago. He was trialing an app for reporting sidewalk defects. It's still not available. But hey, his department puts on parties several times each year.