Old 08-02-19, 09:07 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Some of these folks pedaling along without a care in the world, earbuds firmly planted... (*sigh*... I don't mean the earbuds are a "cause", just a common example of a distraction) don't seem to be worried about getting splattered, but are probably more likely to add to the statistics than someone who can channel their natural fear into alertness and good judgement.

Wednesday evening I was whooshing down a slight downhill and had a fairly sudden loss of pressure in my front tire. Handling gets a bit squirrely when that happens.

There was some fear, and the thought of what it's like when that happens on a long/steep/fast downhill. I'm still on the large side of the Clyde range, and can only imagine what sort of damage I could do if/when I come down in an unfriendly meeting with the asphalt. It was much easier to take a fall when I was younger and fitter.
Not letting that keep me off the bike, though. I will, however, keep a closer eye on tire maintenance. That won't prevent a random puncture on the road, but every little bit helps.

Last edited by velojym; 08-02-19 at 01:14 PM.