View Single Post
Old 08-03-19, 01:49 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Just a followup on my 2001 Ti Pursuit... Still ridden on regular basis, now up to ~32,500 miles. The original mid-drive axle was undersized at

0.38" for the 10mm bearings on the mid-drive so this allowed the mid-drive cassette to cock at a several degree angle which meant that

any really high torque ran the risk of derailling the mid drive drive chain. Solved the problem by making my own 4140 true 10mm diameter

axle (first used carbon steel drill rod, it broke at 800 miles, so switched to 4140). That axle is now above 25,000 miles. A few yrs ago I put

a chain keeper inside the mid-drive to minimize the rare derailling that began to occur then. This has solved the residual problem, possibly due

to wear on the mid-drive axle at its present mileage. This only happened on my 14% grade driveway.

Converted from 12-27 9spd cassette to 11-28 10spd cassette and mounted a Di2 RD on the rear cassette. Made a huge difference in shifting. Bike is ridden

1-2x/week for 40-55 miles each time and is fine for flattish club rides. The brass seat grommets wore out (corrosion) after ~15 yrs but it was

easy to drill them out and replace with stainless grommets. The 4mm bungee cord on the 'butt' part of the seat needs replacing every

2 yrs or so. Seat itself will need replacing in a yr or three, but I have a spare, purchased not long before Steve Delaire shut down the

operation. Making a new one does not look particularly hard, if necessary, but a 20 yr life span is not bad. Original Stronglite headset

replaced with another about 3 yrs ago.