Old 11-16-18, 02:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11024 Post(s)
Liked 7,568 Times in 4,222 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
mstateglfr asked about the benefits of DT levers, and I recall (1) mentioning that they really seem to minimize downtime from cable and other issues (such as STI levers that suddenly "catch a cold" when the weather changes, and stop reacting to lever inputs).
And there is (2) an element of ergonomics that doesn't always make integrated levers the best, what with the wrist action that is needed when honking out of the saddle, and such as having to position one's hands forward on the bars to shift.
Setting up today's bikes with internal cabling and short, stiff cable housings going from the handlebar to the frame (3) is way more work than setting up an old bike that requires less maintenance, by far, and requires more skill and patience to perform such setup and maintenance.
Crashing a bike with integrated shifters (4) can have implications that DT levers are immune to, not to mention that integrated shifters are also heavier and more expensive.
Boy, musta blown right over those since they arent inherent benefits to DT levers.

1- Of all my bikes, the vintage drivetrain ones have had more downtime than the modern drivetrain ones. But thats just my singular observation. I wouldnt attempt to take my narrow experience and apply it to an entire segment.
All bike shifting and drivetrains can come out of tune thru use. Downtube, bar end, trigger, STI, etc etc. I cant say I have ever had downtime on a bike due to cable STI issues, so I didnt recognize this as an inherent benefit of down tube shifting.

2- STI ergonomics are lightyears better than regular brake levers, at least for me(and it appears many others). I dont know what honking out of the saddle is(i figure thats a mistype, but cant guess what it was meant to be). And there is no placing one's hands forward on the bars to shift- the hands are simply on the hoods so you use your fingers and shift. My 11 year old daughter shifts 3x9 STI without issue from the hoods- there just isnt the excessive reaching you claim. STI can also be shifted from the drops. So I again didnt recognize this as an inherent benefit of DT shifting(or an inherent downside of STI).

3- Um...I am shocked that this is something you think is an inherent benefit of DT shifting. Routing shift cable is simply not difficult. dry run it, cut to length, slide the cable in, tape it down, and route it to the derailleur. It seriously isnt tough. Furthermore, it takes 5-15min(depending on skill/experience) per side and lasts for years. Something that takes up such an insignificant amount of time is hardly worth mentioning as a downside, if it were actually a downside. Once more, I didnt recognize this as an inherent benefit of DT shifting since routing cable housing for STI shifting isnt actually difficult.

4- Crashing a bike brings about potential for damage, regardless of what shifters are used. That isnt a benefit to DT shifting as DT shifting can get messed up too in a crash.

5- Yes STI is typically more expensive. So I guess that is an inherent benefit of DT shifting- cost. Are 11 speed DT shifters even a thing or was 10sp the most? So if anyone wants 11sp, they cant even use DT shifting, but some friction shifters that have enough cable pull to friction shift 11sp do exist. Sweet- thats some tiny window space to get proper shifts in, but I guess thats an option.
Anyways- cost is pretty moot since few people actually build their bikes. Most buy a built bike and replace a component if necessary. Few would ever know that they could save $100 by using friction DT shifters from VO instead of 5800 105 STIs. And Im pretty sure even fewer would want to save $100 to use friction DT shifters. So I guess cost is an inherent benefit of DT shifting?

Interesting talk.
Funny timing as I am going to tear down an '92 Specialized Sirrus road bike this weekend to work on refurbishing it for sale. I have some 2x7 Microshift STIs that will be used. They were $44 a couple years ago and have performed great. Thatll make the bike way more appealing when I list it. The RX100 DT shifters will go to the local collective or be listed for sale here.