View Single Post
Old 11-21-18, 04:40 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Only aluminum bikes with large-diameter tubing are known for their stiffness. Earlier aluminum bikes built with standard diameter tubes so regular derailleurs, shifters, and cages could be clamped to them, such as the Vitus and Alan makes, had the opposite reputation - they were known for being comfortable and light, but too 'noodley' for many riders.

And so far I've only broken steel bike frames. My only aluminum bike is almost 30 years old and over 160,000 miles; which is more than that of the steel frames that broke. Yes, it'll break eventually, but so will steel bikes if ridden on typical road surfaces. Frames of reasonable weight will encounter many stresses in typical riding that exceed their endurance limit.
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Campag, you are arguing against a known property of aluminum. That's why aluminum bikes have a reputation for being stiff: if they flex, they will eventually fail and so they're designed to not flex. Modern alloys may go more cycles before failure, but they'll still fail.

I have personally broken two 6061 aluminum frames. The latest replacement frame is 7005, and while it has already lasted longer than either of its predecessors, sooner or later it too will fail.
And here we have the perfect illustration of why Science involves repeatable experiments----and the difference between "anecdote" and "data."

I have had one AL and two steel bikes stolen ... but I recovered the Al bike.

Therefore, using BF science, AL bikes don't need to be locked, because Al is inherently theft-proof, while steel bikes are the most likely to be stolen.

The people who claim that every CF bike is a failure waiting to happen, should not ride CF. The people who claim the same for Al, should not ride Al. The people who are scared of the dark ought not to try to convince others to share their fears.