View Single Post
Old 06-27-19, 11:04 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Back at the gym yesterday for general strength training. I am finding that 3 to 4 sets but with lower reps, increasing weight per set and less reps with each set seems to feel pretty good. My last set is just two reps. This is in contrast to 3 sets of 10 to 15 reps at lower weight with less rest between sets and between exercises. I am also taking more rest between sets. The goal is to get closer to my max one rep lift on the last set.

My goal is more strength with less mass and less fatigue due to gym work.
I'm interested in hearing if this does help lower the fatigue from gym work for you.

I started lifting last fall/winter for the first time in years, doing 5x5s of squats and sometimes leg press, along with upper body. I found the fatigue just from the squats with no other leg work to be pretty hard. 2x per week really cut into the riding I could do. For that reason, I'm not doing any lifting right now while I race 2 weeknights per week, but I'm probably losing anything I may have gained over the winter. I'd like to figure out how to keep some lifting up all year without much fatigue.