Old 08-08-19, 10:38 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Thanks! Every bike is different with regard to how much they want of a certain color--I say this as I try to remember your Pinarello (red lugs correct?)--as well as the components you put on them. I find chrome bikes (even bikes with fully chrome forks and painted frames) very tricky. Modern Campagnolo has that lovely lustrous silver finish, but it is nowhere near chrome. I see this on chrome Paramounts as well. It just looks like too much 'silver' competing for attention. Enter black, and some select high polish elements (thank you, 7800 Dura-Ace). The black headset and, well, most of the components, helped keep the chrome as the main focus without any competing 'duller' silver elements. I even had nice chrome fenders on it and used it as a rain bike briefly before the fenders and 25mm tires decided to be much more finicky than I would have liked.
You are remembering the Pinarello correctly. I went with black components for exactly the reasons you describe, but I'm afraid the gray chain rings take away some of the punch. And even with the barrier that colored lugs give me the merely silver bits -- headset, seat post, stem, wheels -- can't coordinate with the chrome. I'm not saying I'm not happy with this bike, but I feel like it could be better. Some days I think I should have gone with the full red main triangle that it had when it was new.

And for some reason I can't take a good picture of this bike.