Old 08-08-19, 10:51 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
You are remembering the Pinarello correctly. I went with black components for exactly the reasons you describe, but I'm afraid the gray chain rings take away some of the punch. And even with the barrier that colored lugs give me the merely silver bits -- headset, seat post, stem, wheels -- can't coordinate with the chrome. I'm not saying I'm not happy with this bike, but I feel like it could be better. Some days I think I should have gone with the full red main triangle that it had when it was new.

And for some reason I can't take a good picture of this bike.
The black components, in the effort to balance color composition, need some "friends" and by that I mean that, if you have a pair, putting a wheelset with at least black rims on, if not black spokes and hubs. Those wheels will provide considerable visual aid to the black Campy bits. I wouldn't worry about the warm grey chainrings not helping out--they look really cool--there's barely any black on the bike outside of the components. Black wheels will set the contrast for the lower half of the bike, with the, IMO, seatpost needing to be black next. The stem is critical in height and reach for you, and since there is catalog precedent for mismatching stems and seatposts, that can be left for now. The bar tape and hoods are fine as red--that's an integral part of the theme, but yeah, you need a phalanx of black.