Old 08-14-19, 02:03 PM
chico81 

Bikes: 1983 Austro Daimler - Puch Pacifica, 1984 Miyata 310, 1983 Univega Gran Tourismo, 1989 Peugeot Triathlon, 1989 Bridgestone MB-1, 1992 Klein Rascal, 1992 Cannondale M-700

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
Wow! Thank you everyone for all the kind words and wonderful information! Especially your thorough post T-Mar! You’re absolutely right, it has to be the Maxima, and was probably built by Colnago, or at least of of its subsidiaries.

As much as I would have loved to restore and ride this beauty, I’m happy to say that it is actually being passed on to another enthusiast, Nick Ozerov. Nick is an avid Japanese bike collector and restorer, and supplied the majority of the bikes for the book, “Japanese Steel” here’s a link: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ign-japan.html
After a long phone conversation last night, I think I have found a new friend! I also found out that he has been searching for a Maxima for years and that this is his grail bike. So, I’m passing it on to him at my cost (a song), and he plans to fully restore it to its former glory! Nick isn’t tech savvy and doesn’t have a membership here, so I will be sure to post updates of the restoration as well as the final product! I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

THIS is why I love the C&V community! It really isn’t about selfishness or personal gains, but about getting these beautiful bikes back on the road and into the hands of those who will love and care for them

I’s so excited to see how this one will turn out!!!

best,
Ian

Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
What the heck, just enjoy it!

Cheers,
Originally Posted by T-Mar
+1, it's a Nishiki Maxima. The Ultimate was Japanese manufacture. The Maxima and Cervino were Italian manufactured but the Cervino had different frame characteristics. This looks like a near perfect match for my Maxima; Columbus tubing, Nishiki embossing only on the fork crown, Portacatena dropouts, same BB tunnels. same brake bridge, same stay end to dropout transitions, same seat stay caps. Despite being manufactured in Italy, mine had an English BB shell.

These frames appear to have been a result of the frustration experienced by the USA marketing brands to crack the high end market and add prestige to their brands. When Japanese manufactured frames with Japanese components didn't achieve the desired market penetration, they went with Japanese manufactured frames using Campagnolo groups and, in some cases, Columbus tubing. When that failed, relatively speaking, they sourced the frames from Italy. Similar approaches were used by Lotus.and Centurion. Ironically, just as Centurion and Lotus were trying this last approach, the Japanese successfully cracked the high end market, courtesy of Shimano New Dura-Ace (7400 series ) and Tange Prestige, effectively ending the trend to Italian sourcing and causing the leading USA marketing brands to revert to Japan for their high end models.
Originally Posted by curbtender
Good discussion. Talking part is done. Clean it up and post some more pictures. Bet it's going to look sweet.
Originally Posted by shoota
Looks like my size. So jealous.
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
You Lucky Dog!...I wish I lived down south!
Best, Ben
Likes For chico81: