Old 02-06-18, 01:10 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedweasel
Careful my friend. You know absolutely nothing about me or my experience(s). I have 10's of thousands of miles on the road, in training, racing, commuting, group rides, singletrack, grocery/errands, etc., etc. I think I very well know how to ride a bike and to ride one safely. In all of those instances the driver was not paying attention and made a very quick turn either in front of me or at me. The dog off leash is just another example of irresponsibility. If I didn't react as quick as I did, the outcome would have been different. And yes, that comes from experience. These were not accidents, but a lack of respect, intelligence, thought, care, acknowledgment, for/of others. This seems to be the trend in our society now as is your response/comment not knowing the facts of any of these situations. I know crazy concept, huh? Facts and stuff.
Suit yourself. But again, my observation is that cyclists who don't recognize and accept that it is normal for human drivers to be "not paying attention" and "making very quick turns either in front of me or at me" are the ones most prone to get hit.

Cyclists who do recognize and accept that that is normal, and adjust their expectations and behavior accordingly, seem to do much better. It's about adopting habits and practices that keep you out of trouble with drivers who err in the first place, rather than relying on vigilance and quick reactions. Offense-is-the-best-defense vs. just defense. That's just what I see, over and over and over. Attitude and expectations are crucial to safety.