Old 02-07-18, 09:32 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by clubber
So I'm on the way home from my little 20 miler late yesterday afternoon around 3:30 PM.

I live in Northern Virginia and ride the W and OD trail pretty much every day when I was approaching Ferndale Ave in Herndon for those of you that are familiar with that area between the Herndon GC and Herdon Rec Center.

Traffic was stopped both ways and as always I was looking up from at least 20-30 yards to make eye contact with both the bus drive to the left and the car on the right. Both had come to a complete stop and as always I raise a hand and or nod to both drivers.

I was doing about 15 mile per hour when I entered the intersection and got t-boned (slammed to the ground) by the bus. I never spoke to the bus driver when people got out of the vehicles at the intersection and started towards me to make sure I wasn't dead (well...making sure I was not hurt too bad). I peeled myself off the ground and shook my head like a wet dog to clear the cobwebs. The lady from the first car on the right when the bus hit me kept sayin "I saw you look @ the bus and wave and then you waved to me." One of the drivers dialed 911 and 10min later no fewer that 14 police (BOTH Herndon and Fairfax County) and fire and rescue people arrived @ the scene.

I was just a bit scuffed up on my right shoulder, hip, knee and had a cut on my left ankle (the side the bus hit me on AND the leg I have 3 plates in from my knee and ankle fusion surgeries.)

So I will have a hell of a story to tell my grand-kids (or someone else's) what its like to get hit by a bus.
Were you hit by one of the Fairfax Connector bus', or by one of Metro's bus'? I am asking because the Fairfax Connector bus', are like the Ride-On bus' up here in Montgomery County. Both are smaller than the overall size of the Metro bus'.