View Single Post
Old 03-15-19, 11:14 PM
Lovegasoline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
At the time I bought the one I showed, all the cheaper ones I got terrible reviews which is why I didn't buy one that was cheaper. The Titanium one that I just saw on Amazon doesn't have a pezel starter and it costs $3 more then mine which isn't a big deal more.

I haven't had any issues with my stove, BTU output is the same as a friends MSR system, we both boiled water with a few seconds of each other in the same size container, the output is supposedly 6.666 BTUs; I don't have nothing to weigh my stove with but it's light and very small; works in cold weather (but I haven't been touring and cooking at below 45 degrees yet but it worked fine for that and I don't plan on touring in freezing temps), while raining, in the wind if I use the windscreen and high altitudes (I haven't camped at above 8,000 feet while touring, I'm not sure how high I was, somewhere between 6000 to 7500 feet); there is no reason to strip the stove because it's very basic and nothing to go wrong except for the pezel lighter could fail so you then you light it with a match or a lighter, or a magnesium spark if that were to happen. I happened to find this review today on my stove: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ity-ultralight It has some negatives but those negatives won't effect me due to I don't camp in those conditions.
Hi greatscott,
Please don't misunderstand me I'm not dissing your stove ...if your gear choices work for you than all's good : )

My post was simply a follow up to the idea that "you can tour on a budget if you want".
Within that paradigm any opportunity to reduce an expense by 50% can be beneficial. If all expenses can be reduced by 50% (or more), even better.

Originally Posted by greatscott
When it's windy I pull this out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 cheap only $10 and it works great.
Just a head's up, many canister stove manufacturers warn against using a windscreen as it can result in an explosion. Take care when using it. YMMV.
An aside: once I was walking back to my campsite when I heard a massively loud explosion. An isobutane-propane cartridge exploded ... shrapnel blew holes in the surrounding camp chairs. Very interesting drama!

Another way to start a fire with a battery, in this case a AA:
Go to about 1:35 in the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL6X_WiLiEA

PS: I didn't buy my $7 stove from Amazon but from another internet vendor - Monoprice - better known for inexpensive computer cables and accessories. I never even imagined they sold camping gear. Apparently they're not currently selling the stove I bought. It's also pretty light @1.8oz if that sort of thing matters. Nowadays inexpensive stoves abound.

Sawyer Mini Water Filter:
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Nope. Not a bad one. It’s a problem that hollow fiber filters have. Google “Sawyer filter failure” and you’ll find all kind of stories about failures. They are all along the lines of mine...worked fine, perhaps stored, and then didn’t work or only had a trickle. And I’ve found lots of ideas on how to bring the filter back but if the filter suddenly stops working in nowhere and you don’t have access to the stuff you need for those fixes, they are useless as is the filter.
I've never used one before however I bought one new on ebay a couple months ago ($10) to fit into an ultralight backpacking kit (and maybe bring along bike touring). There seems to be a lot of advice on backflushing, avoiding storage in freezing temps (i.e. bring into sleeping bag if it's cold), and perhaps a makeshift silt prefilter. Like a lot of stuff there's people that swear at them and those that swear by them.
--

Quite the trip down memory lane with all those Bleuet stoves and blue canisters.

Last edited by Lovegasoline; 03-16-19 at 01:44 PM.