View Single Post
Old 03-21-19, 08:40 PM
Lovegasoline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
^
The pot (depending on it's diameter) could seal off the top retaining a great deal of heat. If the windscreen surrounds the stove pretty tightly ... depending on the conditions .. the set up might also reflect a great deal of heat back down onto the now almost fully enclosed gas canister?

The fine print on my MSR ISOPRO fuel canister states"Do not enclose the canister with any windscreen" and "Do not expose to heat or store at temperatures above 120ºF (49ºC)."

Maybe you could keep one side of the windscreen open for ventilation and/or not wrap it too tightly around the canister ... to function more like a windshield.

The kevlar vest would likely help but it will not protect your face from the shrapnel.
I'd hate to have my face and chest a foot and half from the stove when the gas canister cooks off.
I don't think these canisters have any sort of relief valve that opens when the pressure increases to a dangerous level so you wouldn't get any warning: it would just explode. Tanks that have relief valves can and do explode.
As I wrote upthread I've seen the aftermath of a canister cooking off and heard the explosion. I was very impressed and I've seen a my fair share of explosions and grease bombs.

Stay safe.

Last edited by Lovegasoline; 03-22-19 at 02:54 PM.