Old 10-14-19, 07:28 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
What caused the odd wear on the pad laying on the stump?
That isn't "wear", from abrasion. It is chipped. As to how it happened, I have no idea. I do not think it happened when riding but I suppose it could have.

Originally Posted by Leebo
Picks of your whole set up?
I will see if I can get some tomorrow.

Originally Posted by cobba
Is the rotor spaced as recommended by Avid?

Good thought. I didn't know there was a spec on the center, or lack-there-of, of the rotor between the pads. I just set the gap between the pads to where I had the brake pull at the lever that I wanted and the caliper assembly (both pads) is set so the rotor spins freely with 0 rubbing until I actuate the brake levers.

However, I can not imagine that this alignment is actually going to make any difference in the braking power. It might be "recommended" and it may affect pad wear over the life of the pads, but braking power - I sincerely doubt it. The pressure and contact area of the pads against the rotor will affect braking power. With as much pressure as gets applied to the pads I'd be shocked if such a small adjustment between where the rotor is between the pads is going to cause enough misalignment in the pad-to-rotor contact area to reduce resistance and decrease braking power.