Old 04-25-17, 10:07 PM
Nomad2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Grips for Thumb Arthritis

Hi,
I have an emerging issue with arthritis in my thumbs which is affecting me (on the left hand particularly) with holding the grip and gear changes. Had only been a niggle until I went for a week's mountain biking in Canberra with the family. There are a few issues at play here. One is that I am gripping the handlebars too tightly generally and I'm trying to address this. The second is that I have poor core strength and I need to address that as best I can.

I have only standard grips on my Merida Big 7 XT (2014) which need replacing anyway. I was looking at ergo grips, and was wondering about the Bontrager inForm Satellite City Grip. Anyone had any experience with these or any other alternative suggestions?

I'm hoping to delay dealing with the shifters for now. The issue with these is exacerbated by the wider handlebars mtbs have. This means the angle I have to bend back my thumb is greater. I could try moving the shifters in a little but I'm not sure that's a good idea. I have no problems at all with the drop bars on my road/touring bike at the moment, even when the thumb is irritated.