Old 02-22-20, 07:37 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
It depends on rider, terrain, and (basically) where you "spin" out and where you must get off the bike and push.

The 800 Sport "Frankentrek" came into my possession as a 7 speed triple. I was a 250 lb, out of shape carni-sugar-vore who began riding in the foothills of NE metro Atlanta. At that time, a hill I would sprint up today, needed more than the original granny and first could produce. At the same time, Big and 7 resulted in occasional coasting....

Ignorance and necessity led to replacement rims with a 9 speed cassette. Health benefits began to kick in, though best practices were still a mystery. So, 8/9 rarely used, but hills seemingly easier. Fast forward from mid 2010's to last year, and another opportunistic replacement... this time, a lower toothed triple.

Now, at 175-180 lbs, having ridden 6+ years, and in great shape for 58, I find myself using all the gears regularly, with mathmatical overlapping of some combos. With where I am at, physically, need-wise and geographically, I would say my triple-9 is meeting my needs! At the same time, by math and by feel, a double would be doable. But, for all the above, cassette 9 is fine