View Single Post
Old 07-15-19, 09:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
I've commuted at least once every month since 1978. That's 492 months straight. Most of the time I've commuted at least once a week and often 5 times per week. That includes getting hit by a car and spending 6 weeks recovering from turning a knee into hamburger (I bought a replacement bike while on crutches), breaking an ankle (a second time) with 6 weeks of recovery, and having to work in Burlington, VT for most of 2 years ( I took bikes with me).

I've crashed on ice, crashed off-road, crashed into a pedestrian (her fault), hit curbs at high enough speed to do a Greg Lougainis dismount (somersault with a full layout using my head as a pivot point), and crashed into a car (see above). I've ridden in snowstorms, blizzards, 105°F heat, 0°F cold (I have limits), hailstorms, thunderstorms, thundersnow storms, downpours, and a whole lot of really nice weather.

I've commuted as many as 212 times per year and as few as 70 (flying back and forth to Vermont puts a damper on bicycle commuting). I've broken 4 bike frames, more spokes than I can count, a pedal, a crank, and a suspension fork (curb) as well as other things I don't even remember.

People constantly ask me "do you still ride your bike to work" which I always answer politely but inside my head I'm yelling "OF COURSE I DO! YOU MIGHT AS WELL ASK IF I STILL BREATHE, YOU KNOB!" That year I spent in Vermont where I only commuted 70 days just about killed me.
Likes For cyccommute: