View Single Post
Old 08-12-19, 06:28 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I was never a die hard. I commuted when the weather was dry except if I got caught in the rain. Cold and snow would certainly stop me. Usually once the snow starts I stop for the season. And now I've stopped for good as I've retired.

I plan on doing a 2 hour ride though every day to make up for the lack of commuter miles, with longer rides too on certain days. My goal is 150 miles/week. That shouldn't be too hard, and maybe 200 if I have a good week.

This routine starts today, it is 6:30am and by 8 I should be on the road. The first ride? My commute of course, except on my road bike. It was an hour to the office no matter how I did it, road bike or commuter bike, it was more the lights and traffic that slowed me down.
I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I previously replied to this thread on the Commuting Forum, "How to motivate myself to ride when I'll no longer be commuting to work?"...

Just yesterday a colleague asked me when I was going to retire. I suggested a number of years, adding, "I like my job, and it’s a convenient place (and distance) to bike to."
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I like that.
but,
I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride. I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week. During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides)
Originally Posted by tsl
…I was concerned about getting decent miles in. This is the time of year when I'd take my 17-mile long loop to work, and a 13-mile cut of it coming home.

It's not that I chase miles for the sake of numbers. It takes me 50 miles a week just to feel good and normal, I feel fantastic over 100 miles a week, and like Superman over 150
I particularly agree with your assessment of weekly mileage, though at over 150 miles per week, I call it hyper-fit.